The Turbett scholarship for 2020 is on hold
The scholarship is administered by the ASQ Section 304 North Jersey Scholarship Committee. The criteria for selecting a scholarship recipient are based on the ASQ Turbett Scholarship Rules.
ASQ North Jersey – Section 304
Larry Turbett Memorial Scholarship Rules
For the Year 2019
- To be eligible for consideration, the applicant must be a current year high school graduate (typically February 2019 or June 2019).
- The applicant’s scholastic standing should be in the upper one-third of the applicant’s class.
- The applicant’s subjects and grades must meet the entrance requirements of the accredited college of the applicant’s choice.
- The applicant must be proposed by a member of the ASQ Chapter 304 North Jersey Section.
- Application must be made on the current official ASQ North Jersey Section 304 form entitled, “ASQ North Jersey – Section 0304 Larry Turbett Memorial Scholarship Application For the Year 2019”.
- Application forms will be made available to all members of the North Jersey Section in good standing. (See www.asqnorthjersey.org.)
- The application must be completed by the applicant.
- An official transcript of the applicant’s high school record, including first half of current school year, must be attached to the application.
- The information must be verified and counter signed by the school principal or authorized alternate.
- An original essay of not less than 750 words on a topic related to “quality” written by the applicant should be submitted with the application.
- The application and transcript must be postmarked by or delivered to the North Jersey Scholarship Committee Chairperson on or before Wednesday, May 01, 2019.
- Selection of finalists will be made by the North Jersey Section Scholarship Committee.
- Financial need is not a factor in this program.
- The recipient(s) will be selected on or after May 01, 2019.
- Applicants will be notified of their status ASAP on or after May 01, 2019.
- Recipient(s) will be invited to receive the Award at the May 15, 2019 ASQ North Jersey Chapter 304 General Meeting.
- The following factors (not in order of priority) will be taken into consideration in awarding the scholarship:
- (a) Academic achievement
- (b) Extracurricular activities
- (c) Honors and awards
- (d) Leadership qualities and personality
- (e) The 750 Word Essay on a topic related to quality*
- Alternates will be selected from among the finalists in the event the recipient does not accept the award.
Payment of Awards
- Scholarship recipient(s) will receive payment of the full or partial scholarship award of $3,000.00.
- The award will be presented at the ASQ North Jersey Section’s May 15, 2019 meeting.
Use of Award
- Applicants are free to select any matriculated course in an accredited college or university.
- Entrance requirements vary between colleges; some require examinations and others do not. Therefore, the applicant is encouraged to take the college entrance board exams so that acceptance may be assured at the time of selection by the committee.
- Acceptance does not prohibit winner from receiving other scholarships.
- The entire process of applying for admission to college and meeting the requirements of the college is solely the responsibility of the candidate.
- The award is of a monetary nature to be used by the recipient in any manner to defray the costs associated with college expenses.
The optional essay will be used as a tiebreaker in close evaluations. The topic need not be technical. For example: “What Quality Means To Me”, “Why Quality is important”, “How I apply Quality thinking to everyday situations”, “Situations where Quality made a difference”, etc.
Additional Information added to the Scholarship Application Rules to be compliant with Revised ASQ Scholarship Policy.
- No one will be disqualified from consideration because of sex, sexual orientation, race, color, creed or religious beliefs.
- Recipients are solely responsible for any tax liability incurred.
- Recipients are required to provide proof (i. e. receipts) that the scholarship award was used for the intended purpose.
Rules updated 01-05-19
Larry Turbett Memorial Scholarship Recipients
|2015 - 2016||Tadd Bindas|
|2014 - 2015||Christopher Mortimer||Jordan Sabourin|
|2013 - 2014||Adam Bindas|
|2012 - 2013||Ryan Simpson|
|2011 - 2012||Harris Hoke|
|2010 - 2011||DharaDalal|
|2009 - 2010||Mark Benning|
|2008 - 2009||Colleen Tyrrell|
|2007 - 2008||Edward Deacon||Danielle Luksa|
|2006 - 2007||Richard Fivehouse|
|2005 - 2006||Caitlin Tyrrell||Marissa Ur|
|2004 - 2005||Sara Perini|
|2003 - 2004||Blase Ur|
|2002 - 2003||Erin Connoly Murphy|
|2001 - 2002||Matthew Pennella||Oren Bassik|
|2000 - 2001||Meagan K. Murphy|
|1999 - 2000||Michaela C. May|
|1998 - 1999||Derek Randall Jenkins||Diane Morgan|
|1997 - 1998||Gregory Spichiger||Jacquelin M. Paritte|
|1996 - 1997||KarleneRosera|
|1995 - 1996||Kevin Ng||Kara Kroll|
|1994 - 1995||Mohit Jain||Jennifer Sanchez|